Wednesday, April 26, 2006

989 Elements Move-in Delayed

I really did expect this, but our move-in date has been pushed back to May 13th. It seems 989 Elements' construction schedule has been running a bit behind.

An industry insider told me the 989 Elements building is going up with "scab work", which means non-union workers. I have no problem with that per se, but I disagree that planners should go with the lowest bid on any construction project. My thinking: You Get What You Pay For.

Look at the Belle Arts building, which is purportedly only five years old. The windows ended up being leaky, and the entire thing had to be scaffolded and tarped.

Would it not have been cheaper to put in better windows, or use more qualified labor and craftsmanship in the first place?

Back to our upcoming move: I never expected that May 6 was actually going to be our 989 Elements move-in date, and I won't bet that May 13 will happen, either. At least I won't hold my breath on it.

I'm just pleased Dan and I had the luck to have rented out Belle Arts sublet for an extra month, just in case. In other words, we are not out on the street, this merry month of May.